Monday, September 16, 2013

Halfway There

So I had one reservation when signing up for the Million Mile Run: I didn’t want my hip to become gimpy again. Well… here we are. 16 days and 37.36 miles in, and my hip is acting up. So how did this happen?

On Friday, I had a great 3 mile run with negative splits(!). afterwards, my hip felt tight. I stretched and then danced my face off at a dear friend’s wedding.

The “before” picture
Saturday I was still sore, so I did a flatter, hungover 5K, instead of the 5 miles I had slated. Later that night I was still sore – sorer than I’d like to be.

I reluctantly skipped my 11 mile run yesterday. I still feel guilty about it, even though I know logically it was the right move. This morning it was still sore, and I know for sure I made the right move (even if I still feel gimpy). Luckily you can both run and walk the miles for the Million Mile Run, so here’s my modified plan (the green being what’s already been completed):
 
1-Sep
10
Rest
Rest
5
3
Rest
Rest
18
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8-Sep
9.3
Rest
3.92
Rest
3
3
3.14
19.36
 
"race"
 
45 min temp
 
 
pace
easy
 
15-Sep
Rest
3
3
3
5
3
5
22
 
 
walk
walk
easy
 
 
 
 
22-Sep
10
3
3
4
3
3
Rest
26
 
 
walk
 
 
 
walk
 
 
29-Sep
13.1
2
 
 
 
 
 
15.1
 
OCNJ 1/2 Marathon
walk
 
 
 
 
 
 

I’ve thrown in a lot more walking, to keep my mileage up by give my hip a break from all the high impact. I also knocked out the speedwork. I’ll get back to that when my hip is healthy. I also plan on using a lot of ice and taking more time to stretch – my least favorite part.  Also, I think this weekend I’ve had more junk than I had in the past month, so I’m also going to clean up my plate. I’m sure my hip would love me to be a little lighter.
 
Any other suggestions for keeping an apparently chronic injury at bay?

No comments:

Post a Comment