Monday, September 24, 2012

Hippy dippy

After two doctor appointments, x-rays, and an MRI, I have been diagnosed with greater trochanteric pain syndrome and a hip flexor strain. Despite the long and scary names, I am still cleared to train for the marathon, and go back for a follow up appointment the week after the race. I am to go to physical therapy 2-3 times a week for 6-8 weeks for “dynamic core stabilization, hip flexor and hip external rotator stretching and strengthening.”

The doctor said it will not necessarily be pain free to run, but with physical therapy and modifying my running plan from 4 times a week to 3 times a week, things shouldn’t get worse. If the pain becomes unbearable, I can make an appointment for a cortisone shot. That is definitely a last resort though.

This is some great news, since my doctor was very concerned it was a stress fracture. Thank you to everyone that listened to me freak out over having a broken hip before 30. The MRI proved that my bones are nice and strong, even if my tendons were inflamed and angry with me.

From here, I modified my running plan, and sent it over to my Team Lemon coach to get her feedback. During my two week vacation, the fall weather has arrived. I’m so glad not to miss my favorite running season. Best part – not having to wake up at 6 AM to get a run in without melting.

Less than five weeks to go!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad everything worked out for you and that you can still train! And it is great running without melting :)

    ReplyDelete