Monday, July 16, 2012

Domestic Goddess?

Anyone that knows me knows I am domestically challenged. I’m not very neat, I hate cleaning and I certainly don’t cook. The fairy godmother of cooking must have smacked me in the head yesterday though, because I spent my Sunday barefoot (not pregnant!) in the kitchen.

For lunch Dan and I decided to make pizza. We had a box of Wildtree’s So Quick And Easy Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Mix, some fresh pesto saved in the freezer, and some veggies that were on their last legs. Dan sliced up some zucchini and yellow squash, and added some green beans to the grill basket. I made the (not so easy) pizza crusts, thawed the pesto, and found a jar of Wildtree’s Sweet Onion Spread in the cabinet. We made two pizzas, one with vegan cheese and one with garlic and chive goat cheese (shown below). 

I decided to actually make one of the 5,000 recipes I’ve pinned on Pinterest. Eggs were on sale at Acme, as were English muffins, so the stars aligned and I decided to ditch the Dunkin Donuts breakfast sandwich habit and make my own. My result wasn’t nearly as pretty, but I had one this morning and they weren’t any worse than what I’d been paying $3 a day for at DD! The end cost result for me was $1.16 a sandwich, and that was with plenty of shredded cheese to spare.


Since I already had the oven going, and I had a pound of ground turkey in the fridge, I decided to go ahead and make some mini meatloaves. I modified my friend’s recipe using some more Wildtree products*. You can see the recipe here.


I pulled these bad boys out of the oven and went to the gym. I had an hour of cross training scheduled, so to keep it interesting I did 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the rowing machine, and 20 minutes on the elliptical. I can certainly tell that I’m getting stronger from training. Normally 60 minutes would kick my butt. Instead, this weekend I had a PR for a 5 mile run on Saturday, and yesterday left the gym sweating but not exhausted. Progress!

In fact, I got home from the gym, showered, and then immediately started working on dinner: taco salad. I cooked two ears of corn in the microwave while I sliced up some red pepper and onion. Sautéed them with mushrooms in Wildtree jalapeno grapeseed oil. Set them in a bowl, and then sautéed some Boca crumbles and the corn with some Chipotle Lime Rub and a little more jalapeno grapeseed oil. Served on top of lettuce with Wholly Salsa, crushed tortilla chips, and a little shredded cheese and sour cream for me. it was delicious! It sure didn’t look pretty though, so no pictures of this one.

I have some chicken breasts in the fridge right now. What are your favorite recipes for them? Something that freezes well preferred.

*I swear I don’t sell Wildtree products but I really feel like Wildtree should be sending me some stuff for all this promotion!



No comments:

Post a Comment